Friday, June 30, 2006

A week has passed since I last wrote. I get home from work, and I'm just too tired to sit in front of a computer, since that's what I do most of the day.

But today at work one of my colleagues, Kate, said she recently read this and actually seemed to enjoy it! (Thanks, Kate!)

As I go back to my first entry, I realize that I have not mentioned mosquitoes -- the one thing I dreaded; I hate mosquitoes. Well, Bruce was not exaggerating. I rarely if ever noticed them except for the occasions when we would portage our fishing gear over a narrow, nearly overgrown trail from Bemar Lake to Saganagon, which is a very large lake within the Quetico Provincial Park -- the wildest of the wilderness area. The walk is only about 12 - 15 minutes, but since it's a dense, swampy area, the mosquitoes are quite a nuisance. The only other time I noticed a few mosquitoes around the cabin was at dusk -- from about 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Here's a map that may help a little (though the graphic quality is less than ideal and Saganagon Lake isn't spelled correctly). On the far right the dark circle represents the cabin and you can see the dotted line with a canoe graphic that indicates the portage walk from Bemar to "Sag."

I was fascinated by the story of a couple with a daugher who lived here in this tiny cabin year 'round until they had to leave when the area was designated as a provincial park. This is the old, deserted cabin where they once lived and sustained themselves by hunting, fishing and trapping; amazing! The only reason we stopped here was so that we could pull on our rain pants because a shower seemed imminent. But since we were here, I had to hike up and peek into the run-down and sagging shack. Wow! These folks had to be rugged to live in such frightening isolation.

No comments: